• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved IONOS NOT ACCEPTING INCOMING MAIL FROM PLESK - 554 BAD DNS PTR RESOURCE RECORD

falconsi

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Linux container in Proxmox in a Dedicated Root Server in Hetzner - OPNSense Router)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.52_build1800230516.12 os_Ubuntu 22.04
Hello all!

I purchased a Plesk license after making a few tests in trial. I configured a domain in Ionos, changed nameservers to point to Plesk and everything is working perfectly (DNS prop is 100%).
My problem is, when I send emails (from [email protected]) to Ionos customers, they get bounced with following error:

<[email protected]>: host mx00.ionos.es[212.227.15.41] refused to talk

to me: 554-kundenserver.de (mxeue010) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available

554-No SMTP service 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record. 554 For explanation

visit SMTP Error Messages of the IONOS Mail Servers - IONOS Help

At the moment, I checked sending to Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft (@msn.com, @outlook.com, @live.es) and they work perfectly, problem is only with Ionos.

I visited SMTP Error Messages of the IONOS Mail Servers - IONOS Help to see how to solve it, and it says:

554 Bad DNS PTR resource record​

Problem:

Email from your email server has been rejected because the PTR resource record (PTR-RR) of your IP address does not comply with IONOS policy.

Solution:

Switch from a dynamically assigned IP address to a fixed IP address.

Verify that the PTR-RR is the default generic entry of your provider. Assign your email server its own full domain name (FQDN).

So, I've already have a fixed IP address. My server is in a dedicated root server in Hetzner, virtualized in a Linux Container in Proxmox. I made this in Robot:

(Yes/No is for traffic alerts)

Waited for changes to propagate (in dnschecker.org), but still getting same error from Ionos.

Tried to add a PTR record in Plesk like this:

1686011298996.png

But I get this error:

1686011343339.png

Also tried with /32, got the same error.

Also changed spf to this (as seen on another post):

1686011425178.png

But doesn't work either.

This is all I could try with my (limited) knowledge, would you help me sorting this out?

Thanks in advance.

What does the Yes/No radio button do? Could it be possible that Reverse DNS has been configured, but has not been turned on at your data center?

Attachments

• 2023-06-06_08-28-26.jpg
    2023-06-06_08-28-26.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
# host 88.198.98.121
121.98.198.88.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pejeverdeftv.es.

PTR seems fine currently.

Is mail going out to ANYONE at all?

What does the Yes/No radio button do? Could it be possible that Reverse DNS has been configured, but has not been turned on at your data center?
It's in the alt text, hehe. Yes/No enables/disables traffic alerts. So no, not needed for reverse DNS

# host 88.198.98.121
121.98.198.88.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pejeverdeftv.es.

PTR seems fine currently.

Is mail going out to ANYONE at all?
At the moment, I checked sending to Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft (@msn.com, @outlook.com, @live.es) and they work perfectly, problem is only with Ionos.

As said in the OP, yes, It was going out everywhere I tested but Ionos.
Anyway, right now it works perfectly. Maybe the problem was the PTR not fully propagated.

Thanks everyone. Have a good one.

Back