• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question PHP 7.1 for old Magento 1.x site

pvdv

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12?
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk 18.0.56?
Hello,

I need PHP 7.1 for an old Magento 1.x website. Yes I know it's deprecated, but we need some time to build a new site.

Is it possible to install the latest version of Plesk on Debian 12, and add PHP 7.1? Or do I need older versions of Plesk or Debian?
When I add the "sury.org" repository to a Debian 12 server "apt install php7.1" seems to work.

When I look at the Plesk website, I don't see PHP 7.1 as an option:
But I think Plesk can also use a PHP version provided by the OS, isn't it?

With regards,
Paul

Thanks for your fast answer!

Yes, I did see that. But it does not answer my question. My question is not: "how to install a custom PHP version?" but: "is it possible to use PHP 7.1 with a modern Plesk and Debian 12?"

I have also heard that older PHP versions do not work on newer Debian/Ubuntu versions because of a new version of OpenSSL. But I cannot find the details anymore.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

An old PHP version will for sure work with Plesk. If it also works with your operating system, I do not know. But I assume, if someone created a package for Debian 12, it will work on it.

I did install Debian 12 and the latest version of Plesk.

I did install "php7.1-fpm" and some modules from the sury repository. This repository is from Ondřej Surý, the guy who makes the PHP packages for Debian and Ubuntu.

But I do not see PHP 7.1 in the PHP settings of Plesk.

When I enable "PHP from OS vendor" in the installer it installs PHP8.3 and I can choose that in the PHP settings of Plesk. But I cannot choose PHP7.1.
I did try "update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.1" but this does not help in Plesk.

How can I use PHP 7.1 in Plesk?

Ah. For me it was not a "custom PHP version" but a "PHP version from OS vendor". But I still have to register it in Plesk I guess...

It see PHP 7.1 now in Plesk. This command did it:

plesk bin php_handler --add -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d

Not sure about what the "-poold" option is or does, and I did not found an example. Even the "list" option does not show it. I created an empty directory with "mkdir -p /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d".

It see PHP 7.1 now in Plesk. This command did it:

plesk bin php_handler --add -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d

Not sure about what the "-poold" option is or does, and I did not found an example. Even the "list" option does not show it. I created an empty directory with "mkdir -p /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d".

I recommend to delete the "/opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d" directory again and to set the -poold parameter to the proper default directory "/etc/php/7.1/fpm/pool.d/" (that one already exists and should contain a www.conf file)

The poold parameter specifies the directory where the websites individual php-fpm config files are stored

@ChristophRo: Thanks for your help! I've changed this with:

plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /etc/php/7.1/fpm/pool.d/

Back