• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Will MariaDB automatically upgrade at the end of its support period?

Deethz

New Pleskian
Hey, when I have installed Plesk (about 6 months ago) on my CentOS server, it installed MariaDB 5.5, and I just checked that it's going to have an end of life in about 5 months (April 2020).

I don't feel safe installing/upgrading the database by myself (thats why I pay for Plesk).

Will I automatically be converted/upgraded to 10.3 or 10.4 or whichever will be the current version at the time?

Wordpress is giving me a warning that my database is outdated.

I am running Obsidian 18.0.20.

Thank you for your answer!

Please tell us your OS version.

Where did you install the MariaDB 5.5 from and how?

I am using CentOS 7 plus i just installed plesk with a one-click installer command, And it automatically installed plesk and everything as far as i know.

The EOL you're referring to does not apply to CentOS packages. Red Hat and consequently CentOS packages receive backported feature and security enhancements regardless of the upstream update timeline.

In this case your MariaDB will be supported as long as CentOS 7 will. But to answer your question directly, no, most likely your MariaDB will not be upgraded to a newer major version, the current version will continue to receive updates.

The Wordpress warning can be disregarded in this case. That part of the code seems to be badly written otherwise it should differentiate between supported OS packages and vanilla upstream packages...

The Wordpress warning can be disregarded in this case. That part of the code seems to be badly written otherwise it should differentiate between supported OS packages and vanilla upstream packages...
You are right. In this case these warnings can be ignored. I am Wordpress dev and use Wordpress a lot.

Lately Wordpress introduced something called "Health check". Intention is good but whole engine is not matured yet. I hate it for now. I have a lot of clients calling me because of it even though their Wordpress websites perform with 0 issues. And other people are having a lot of false reports. Not only for Maria DB etc. Anyway these few threads explain why HealthCheck and other similar plugins report false warnings when it comes to MariaDB:

Error in warning about MySQL | WordPress.org
MariaDB/MySQL version showing wrong info | WordPress.org

Short story: they are having a hard time detecting which MariaDB version run at all - as you already guessed.

Back