• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

ghost CRON job continues to send emails after it is deleted?

dtbaker

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I am receive emails from a Scheduled Task that was created through Plesk. The email headers contain this information:

Code:
Subject: Cron <[email protected]> php /var/www/vhosts/site.net/httpdocs/cron.php
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/bash>
X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/var/www/vhosts/site.net>
X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=dtbaker>
X-Cron-Env: <USER=dtbaker>

And the content of the email is:

Code:
Could not open input file: /var/www/vhosts/site.net/httpdocs/cron.php

I have removed this job from the Scheduled Tasks area of Plesk, and running
Code:
sudo crontab -l -u dtbaker
on the server shows no scheduled tasks for dtbaker, however I continue to receive these emails (every 10 minutes - for the last month).

Can somebody help me locate this stuck/ghost cron job so I can remove it?

I have tried:

Code:
sudo service crond restart
a quick look through the "psa" database to see if I could spot scheduled tasks anywhere (I couldn't)
a
Code:
grep cron.php /var/spool/cron/* -R
brings up nothing.
re-adding and deleting the scheduled task via plesk * shrug *

Not really sure where else to look?

Cheers,
Dave

Did you find any solutions to this?

I have the following problem:
1. I renamed a domain.
2. After renaming, the scheduled tasks disappeared.
3. I keep receiving mails from the scheduled tasks on the old domain name.
4. I have no idea how to delete those scheduled tasks now.. :(

Anyone got an idea?

- - - -
Plesk 12.5.30 Update #64, last updated at April 25, 2017
CentOS Linux 7.3.1611 (Core)‬

Hi Tklaversma,

could you pls. tell us, WHERE you setup the scheduled task? At the subscription? At the server-wide setting ( HOME > Tools & Settings > Scheduled Tasks )?

What is the output of the commands:
Code:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/crontabmng get root
and
Code:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/crontabmng get DOMAIN-SPECIFIC-SYSTEM-USER

I've set it up under the subscription itself..

Code:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/crontabmng get root

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/letsencrypt/scripts/renew.php'

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/ms_purge_notifications.php'

MAILTO=""
23 0,6,12,18 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/magicspam-updater.php'

MAILTO="[HIDDEN]"
0 23 * * 3 [ `date +\%d` -le 7 ] && /usr/local/bin/[HIDDEN].sh

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/rotate_logs.php'

MAILTO=""
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/ms_clean_queue.php'

Code:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/crontabmng get DOMAIN-SPECIFIC-SYSTEM-USER

MAILTO="[HIDDEN]"
SHELL="/bin/sh"
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/fetch_url 'https://[HIDDEN]/subscribe/listener/process-mail-listener' > /dev/null

The cronjob is in NONE of the above... :S

Hi Tklaversma,

pls. inspect the header of the eMail and investigate WHICH user sends the eMail. Afterwars, pls. repeat again the suggested command with the investigated system - user. ;)

As you can see, the mail is send by the root user.
Code:
Received: by [HIDDEN].nl (Postfix, from userid 10025) id 022856000A9;
To: [HIDDEN]
Subject: Cron [HIDDEN] /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/fetch_url  '[HIDDEN]' > /dev/null
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-ASG-Orig-Subj: Cron [HIDDEN] /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/fetch_url '[HIDDEN]' > /dev/null
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-Cron-Env: <LANG=en_US.UTF-8>
X-Cron-Env: <MAILTO=[HIDDEN]>
X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/var/www/vhosts/[OLD_VHOST]>
X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=[OLD_NAME]>
X-Cron-Env: <USER=[OLD_USER]>

Furthermore, you wanted to see the command for the `root` user again:
Code:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/crontabmng get root

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/letsencrypt/scripts/renew.php'

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/ms_purge_notifications.php'

MAILTO=""
23 0,6,12,18 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/magicspam-updater.php'

MAILTO="[HIDDEN]"
0 23 * * 3 [ `date +\%d` -le 7 ] && /usr/local/bin/[HIDDEN].sh

MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/rotate_logs.php'

MAILTO=""
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/modules/magicspam/scripts/ms_clean_queue.php'

Hi Tklaversma,

Received: by [HIDDEN].nl (Postfix, from userid 10025) id 022856000A9;
So the user ID is "10025". Now pls. check your file "/etc/passwd" and search for the corresponding name:
Code:
grep 10025 /etc/passwd
Afterwards, pls. repeat the above command for the corresponding username you found with "grep". ;)

Cronjob - eMails are always sent over the root - account on your server in case of issues/errors/problems, or when you configured the scheduled task to sent eMails with each process ( optional feature! ).

Code:
grep 10025 /etc/passwd
outputs nothing :S

This user does not exist anymore, since I renamed the domain > thus the user

Hi Tklaversma,

pls. list all files at "/var/spool/cron/crontabs":
Code:
ls -lah /var/spool/cron/crontabs

If a listed username there can't be found with the previous grep - command at your "passwd" - file, pls. delete the corresponding file.

Code:
ls -lah /var/spool/cron/crontabs
outputs "No such file or directory".
Code:
cd /var/spool/cron/
ls -a
outputs different users, but not the old user that still runs the cronjob. It does show the renamed user.[/code]

It does show the `root` user. But we already know the output of that.

So from hereon you say "Delete /etc/passwd"???

Hi Tklaversma,

So from hereon you say "Delete /etc/passwd"???
NO, I didn't suggest that and that would be totally INCORRECT and will lead to a non - working system!!!

If ( for whate ever reason ) the corresponding crons from your "old" user doesn't exist anymore, there is nothing to do for you, expect for restarting the cron daemon or just reboot your server. ;)

Hi Tklaversma,

the last option that comes in my mind, is to use a "find" command... as for example:

Code:
find / -type f -name "*.*" -exec grep --color -Hni "httpdocs/cron.php" {} \;
( pls. note, that this will take a long time for the command to be finished, depending to your hardware )​

A long list that shows nothing we are looking for...
Can u explain how that it is possible i still get these mails? Is the cronjob stored in a Database?

Hi Tklaversma,

Is the cronjob stored in a Database?
No, it's stored as a file for your cron - daemon.

Can u explain how that it is possible i still get these mails?
The only reason that comes into my mind is, that when you renamed your domain, the existent cronjob didn't get deleted, that's why I suggested to search for the corresponding file with a "find" - command, to be sure, that there is no other place, where the cron - daemon looks for corresponding cronjobs.

Consider to expand the search, to get a more precise list, by using MORE of your previous used cronjob - command. ;)

hello, i cant delete Scheduled Task from plesk that i create with php script for the user root, any ideas thx

Back