• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to disable forced advertisement "Hire a developer"?

Hangover2

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.59 #2
Hello,

as the title says: how can we disable that advertisement in the WordPress toolkit?

1712129857668.png

We are actually not amused, that Plesk wants to catch out clients.

Attachments

• hire-a-developer.png
    hire-a-developer.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 5
@Hangover2 Sorry to hear this wasn't helpful to you guys. To clarify, we're not "catching" anyone's clients since we're not a WordPress development shop -- the purpose of this integration is to help those who don't know where to go when they need help with WordPress development. Since this could cause a conflict of interest in some cases, we've made sure server administrators can hide this feature.

You can usually find information about disabling or hiding features in the product changelog. I've highlighted the relevant part of the changelog for you, hope this helps:

codeable-changelog.png

We did not install 6.3.0 yet. We are still on 6.2.15. So this feature was deployed by accident to older versions?

At least the setting does also work for 6.2.15.

...where was the link being displayed, we could not find it after the update? We also posted questions about this in the Plesk Extensions forum and did not receive a reply.

@custer I think the problem could also be that Codeable is way too expensive.

When customers here ask for assistance we normally refer them to Fiverr and recommend choosing an expert from Pakistan or Indonesia as these have often proven excellent work while charging a very low price. Codeable is way more expensive. For many users in low income countries, 80 - 120 US $ that Codeable asks per hour are unaffordable. Also, even when a freelancer found on Fiverr (or another similar platform) fails, the customer may lose a few bucks, but then can still get the project completed with another freelancer for much less. So even a failed fully paid project included, the customer will still pay a lower total than when choosing a rather expensive expert from Codeable.

Overall I like the idea that there is an option for a link where to ask for assistance, but the target URL and name should be freely configurable. Also think of all the web agencies that sell hosting and PHP service. They could then direct customers to their own offer. Result: For the time being I had to remove the link from all of our installations as we cannot recommend Codeable with good conscience.

fyi...for those watching this thread but not the other...more info was posted there.....

@Bitpalast I also like the idea that we could set the link to an own target to advertise our own WordPress developers of the company as some of our clients do not know, that we also have this service. This would also help the intended purpose of Plesk, that the:
purpose of this integration is to help those who don't know where to go when they need help with WordPress development

@Bitpalast I think allowing to customize the link is a fantastic idea, Peter! I just wish you've shared it a bit earlier, before we released this, since it would indeed help us a lot to achieve the intended purpose (as quoted above by @Hangover2). :D

I'm talking to my team about estimating how expensive this change would be. Technically, you can change the destination URL even right now, but the text in the pop-over won't be modified, so we'll have some work to do on that front.

We did not install 6.3.0 yet. We are still on 6.2.15. So this feature was deployed by accident to older versions?

At least the setting does also work for 6.2.15.
The integration was technically delivered in a minor 6.2.x release for extended testing, but it was completely hidden from customers. This is actually an unexpected side-effect, thanks for letting us know!

So let me get this straight, you're placing a link in WP toolkit to a thridparty business provider so that they can poach business?

This should be disabled by default and enabled by admin if required.

to disable WP-Toolkits "Hire a Developer" add this to panel.ini file

[ext-wp-toolkit]
appModeFeature = on
codeableIntegrationFeature = off

so far what i know is that appModeFeature ebables WP-Toolkit integration with the new Dynamic view and codeableIntegrationFeature is the "hire a developer" text.. have not tested WP-toolkit after the inactivation of codeableIntegrationFeature. but my hope is that everything will be ok. if not i will be back.

I think that PLESK should STOP with this type of invasion without us being asked if this is what we want. Clients call me asking how to register here, why everything is in English here. WTF... The customer just called and says I will order the services from you here, I am saying that this is not even our service and we do not recommend anything.

Back