• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Really strange problem – I can't use my SMTP server intermittently

carlsson

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.58 Update #2
Today was the third time I experienced the following, and with different networks:

- Suddenly I can't connect to the SMTP server.
- No devices on the same network can use that SMTP server.
- Connecting to another network (like my cellular) works normally.
- I have tried different accounts, all is on the same Plesk and behaves identically.
- Waiting an hour and the problem vanish.

The first time I noticed this behavior was last week when I helped my brother in law setting up his copier. That involved a lot of testing because it didn't work at the first attempt, and after a while SMTP was blocked. Connecting to my cellular showed no problems of sending emails.

Second time was during this weekend, also after a lot of testing, and just now it happened again, also after testing (see my other thread).

When connecting to my cellular it works as it should.

I get the feeling that my Plesk Mail server bans my IP during a period. I can't find any info about this in Plesk admin though, and my IP is not mentioned in the IP address banning logs... I whitelisted my IP to test, but there was no difference in behavior (my IP is a DHCP from my ISP).

The only common factor is my mail server. Everything else works.

Any ideas what this is all about!?

- Suddenly I can't connect to the SMTP server.
- No devices on the same network can use that SMTP server.
- Connecting to another network (like my cellular) works normally.
- I have tried different accounts, all is on the same Plesk and behaves identically.
- Waiting an hour and the problem vanish.
These symptoms perfectly fit a fail2ban IP ban. As these are temporary and can be service (port) specific.

If you haven't already, you could whitelist your IP. (Go to Tools & Settings > IP Address Banning (fail2ban) and click the Trusted IP Addresses tab).

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the banning is probably caused by the issue described in your other thread. But I it could caused be something different too.

Thanks Kaspar, I agree, it must have something to do with fail2ban. But why can't I see my IP (or subnet) in the logs, that's really confusing...?
I did a whitelisting of my specific IP during the latest ban. Maybe it didn't help because it was an ongoing issue. Or maybe I need to whitelist my subnet.
I'll search the logs closer next time if it happens.

Back