• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Server-wide backup invalidates SSL cert when deployed on back-up server

PrimeSites

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.56 Update #2
Hi Guys,

I have a 2-server set-up where the primary server's whole-server back-up is copied to the secondary server nightly, and a restoration triggered manually.

However, the restoration on the secondary server invalidates the SSL cert for Plesk access and requires logging via IP address to fix. Going into Tools & Settings > SSL/TLS Certificates > Certificate for securing Plesk > [Change], then just hitting OK with (already-selected) correct cert, fixes the problem and restores the cert.

I've attempted to re-apply the cert after the restoration has completed on the secondary server with cli, but it has no effect:
plesk bin certificate --assign-cert "Lets Encrypt (sweet-almeida)" -admin -ip [server-ip-address]

Could you perhaps suggest a way of automating the re-application of the correct/default Certificate for securing Plesk? This would enable me to append a command to restore the cert at the end of the back-up restoration script.

Alternatively, is it possible to exclude specific areas (hostname | default certificate) from the primary/source server back-up, which would avoid the secondary/target server's cert being invalidated?

Thanks

The certificate is domain-validated. As the domain can only be reached on one server, how can the certificate be valid on another server?

The certificate is domain-validated. As the domain can only be reached on one server, how can the certificate be valid on another server?
Hi Peter,
I should have been clearer. Each server has initially been set-up with its own certificate. E.g.
- Primary server has Lets Encrypt (primary-server) applied
- Secondary server has Lets Encrypt (sweet-almeida) applied

After restoration both the certificates are present on the secondary/target server as one might expect, but the Lets Encrypt (sweet-almeida) is still (seemingly) applied.
However It requires a manual save in Tools & Settings > SSL/TLS Certificates > Certificate for securing Plesk > [Change] to re-apply before the Plesk interface becomes accessible again.

I hope that clarifies but let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks

I still don't get the issue. If the server has a different hostname and you do a full restore to that server, it is expected that some configurations from the state before restoring won't match. They cannot match if it's a different host with a different name.

I still don't get the issue. If the server has a different hostname and you do a full restore to that server, it is expected that some configurations from the state before restoring won't match. They cannot match if it's a different host with a different name.
Hi Peter,

I was hoping that there was perhaps way of automating the re-application of the correct/default certificate for securing Plesk on the secondary server. This would enable me to append a command to restore the cert at the end of the back-up restoration script.

I've attempted the below with no effect:
plesk bin certificate --assign-cert "Lets Encrypt (sweet-almeida)" -admin -ip [server-ip-address]

Alternatively, is it perhaps possible to exclude specific areas (hostname | default certificate) from the primary/source server back-up, which would avoid the secondary/target server's cert being invalidated?

Back